Nothing says the spirit of thanksgiving like spending quality time together doing a few thanksgiving crafts with your family. This holiday season dust off your crafting skills because this thanksgiving thankful turkey craft is great for kids of all ages.
One of my favorite Thanksgiving traditions is sitting around the table and getting crafty together. It's a fun way to kill time before thanksgiving dinner is done as well!
The best thing about this simple craft is there are several variations depending on the age of the person doing the craft. Let's start off a wonderful thanksgiving countdown with the perfect activity.
5 Ideas for Other Thanksgiving Activities
This is also a great activity to add to a list as we start the month of November. I love the idea of 12 days of Thanksgiving countdown with crafts and activities you do as a family. Such a fun and easy way to start a few new traditions and try new things as a whole family.
Here are 5 ideas to help you give this thanksgiving season a new fun tradition.
- Gratitude Journal (take the time to look up a writing prompt or two to make it more interesting)
- Thankful Tree
- Nature Scavenger Hunts
- Thanksgiving Bingo
- Pin the Tail Feather on the Turkey
If you're looking for more ideas or another cute Thanksgiving craft to add to your countdown check out my post, Grateful Activities for Thanksgiving.
- Paper Regular Paper, Paper Plate, different colors of construction paper, or card stock
- Adhesive glue stick, hot glue gun, glue dots, or double-sided tape
- Scissors or Craft Knife X-Acto Knife
- Crayons, Markers, or Colored Pencils
Note: You could also use things like Googly Eyes, Glitter, Toilet Paper Tubes, or Real Feathers as fun embellishments.
Thankful Turkey Craft: Three Variations
This year let's add a little fun with our little turkeys, whether they're older children or little kiddos, makes no difference. The true meaning of Thanksgiving is an appreciation for the blessings we've been given and my most precious blessings are my children.
01 Thankful Turkey Hat - Younger Child
Turkey hats are a fun craft for kindergarten students, really younger children that would think it hilarious to have a turkey on your head. The great news is it's an easy activity and really doesn't require many craft supplies.
You can easily do this entire project using brown construction paper if that's all you have on hand. Another option is to print this free printable on white cardstock paper and color it in.
How to Make a Thankful Turkey Hat
- First, print off this free Turkey template.
- Then measure your child's head and cut a piece of paper 2" wide to fit around it.
- Also consider, in the tail feathers write things your child says they're thankful for if they can't write it for themselves yet.
- Then, let your child color in the turkey shape.
- And lastly, attach the turkey shape to the band with a glue dot, glue stick, or double-sided tape.
Note: Another option you could use to make it extra fun is googly eyes!
02 Thankful Turkey Craft - Older Kids
This version could be used for both younger kids and older kids. But this one you can use more creativity and even repurpose some household things for this craft. But it's the ability to use your creativity that makes it so much fun.
How to Make This Turkey Craft
- Turkey Body The first step is to decide how you want to make the body. Then you could use the printable turkey body, or use a toilet paper roll tube as the body.
- Turkey Feathers The easiest way to make it is to cut a paper plate in half and use that as the turkey's feathers. But the other option is to cut out individual feather shape pieces to glue to the back of the turkey body.
Crafty Variations of the Thankful Turkey Craft
- Real or Faux Turkey Feathers
- Multiple Colors of Paper
- Orange Paper for a Turkey Waddle
- Toilet Paper Roll for the body of the Turkey
- Googly Eyes
- Paper Plate
03 Thanksgiving Thankful Turkey - Adult or Family Version
I love crafts, but I definitely love figuring out how to elevate them for myself. So, this is a great craft you can do with all your family members, friends, and Thanksgiving guests on Thanksgiving day!
We wait the entire year for Thanksgiving, this is a great way to make this one extra special.
How to Use this Thankful Turkey Craft Printable Page
For this version, I chose a vintage-style turkey body and four different styles of turkey feathers. Therefore you can choose between or use all of them in layers.
- Make copies of the feather page and turkey templates so you have plenty for each guest.
- Also, use the feathers to write good things to be thankful for, a bible verse, or special words of thanks to a special person in attendance.
Thanks so much for stopping by! I really hope you have fun with your friends and family this year and enjoy some crafting projects.
Hi, I'm Julie! Mother to five beautiful kids, Homeschool Educator, Writer, Handicraft & DIY Enthusiast, Photographer, Thrifter, and Furniture Restorer. Follow along for fun DIY projects creating a handmade home on a budget! Read more about me here→