When life gives you lemons, make lemonade – that’s how the saying goes. But why stop at just plain lemonade when you can add a unique twist to this classic drink? Enter Homemade Redbud Lemonade, a refreshing and colorful drink that incorporates the beautiful and edible flowers from redbud trees.
In this post, we’ll share with you an easy recipe for making this delicious Homemade Redbud Lemonade drink at home, as well as instructions for Redbud Foraging, Redbud Tea, and Redbud Simple Syrup. Get ready to impress your taste buds with this twisted classic!
The Beauty and Benefits of Redbud Trees
Learning how easy it is to properly forage for Redbud blossoms in the spring will have you giddy. But to sell it even more, here are some amazing benefits of the trees in case you feel the need to plant a few!
6 Reasons Redbud Trees are Not Only Practical But Valuable
Redbud trees are prized for their beauty and offer several benefits to the environment and people. So, here are some of the benefits and beauty of redbud trees:
- Aesthetically Pleasing. Redbud trees are known for their vibrant pink or purple blooms that appear in early spring before the leaves emerge.
- Wildlife Habitat. Redbud trees provide a habitat for various wildlife, this includes birds as well as bees. Birds use the tree for shelter, nesting, as well as food. Also, bees are attracted to the flowers of the redbud tree and use the nectar to produce honey.
- Nitrogen Fixers. Redbud trees are nitrogen fixers. Therefore, they help to improve soil quality by converting nitrogen from the air into a form that can be used by plants.
- Low Maintenance. Redbud trees are generally easy to care for and require little maintenance. Also, they are relatively pest and disease-resistant. Therefore they are a great option for homeowners who want a low-maintenance tree.
- Culinary Uses. Redbud flowers are edible and can be used in salads, as a garnish, or made into jams, jellies, teas, as well as simple syrups! In addition to their slightly sweet taste, redbud flowers are popular in spring cuisine for their nutty flavor.
- Medicinal Properties. Redbud flowers and bark have been used in traditional medicine for their astringent as well as antispasmodic properties. They have been used to treat diarrhea, dysentery, as well as other gastrointestinal issues.
Overall, redbud trees are a beautiful and beneficial addition to any yard or garden. They offer a range of benefits, from aesthetic value, to their culinary use, as well as medicinal properties. Overall, they are a great choice for homeowners looking for a low-maintenance tree that supports local wildlife.
The Twisted Classic: A New Take on Lemonade
I love lemonade, it’s kind of my favorite spring and summer drink. You can typically find me squeezing up a batch of it with strawberries, but this time I thought I would go a little outside the norm. Turns out it was a great idea therefore here are a few reasons why you should, too!
The Health Benefits of Redbud Lemonade: Vitamin C and More
Making redbud lemonade has several benefits, both in terms of taste and health. Here are some of the benefits of making redbud lemonade:
- Refreshing and Delicious. Redbud lemonade has a unique and refreshing taste that is slightly floral and slightly tart. It is a delicious and unique twist on traditional lemonade that is perfect for spring and summer.
- Rich in Vitamin C. Redbud flowers and lemons are both rich in vitamin C, an essential nutrient that is important for immune function, as well as skin health, and wound healing.
- Natural and Homemade. You can use fresh, organic lemons and redbud flowers to create a homemade drink that is free from artificial colors, flavors, as well as sweeteners. Therefore controlling the ingredients!
- Utilizing Local Resources. If you have a redbud tree in your yard or community, making redbud lemonade is a great way to utilize this local resource. Also, create a unique drink that showcases the beauty and flavor of your local environment.
- Unique Floral Flavor. Redbud flowers have a unique, nutty, and slightly floral flavor that is unlike any other edible flower. Adding them to lemonade creates a unique and delicious drink that will tantalize your taste buds.
Overall, making redbud lemonade is a refreshing, delicious, and healthy drink that is perfect for spring and summer. It offers a range of benefits, from its natural and homemade ingredients to its unique floral flavor and the use of local resources.
Step-by-Step Recipe for Homemade Redbud Lemonade
Homemade Redbud Lemonade is a unique and refreshing twist on traditional lemonade. This delicious drink is made using the edible flowers of the redbud tree, which give the lemonade a delicate pink hue and a slightly floral taste.
It’s crazy that with a few lemons, a few cups of water, and some Redbud Simple Syrup you will have a delicious and healthy refreshing drink!
Step One – Foraging for Redbud Blossoms
Before you can even start making Homemade Redbud Lemonade you will need to forage for their blossoms off of a Redbud tree (Cercis canadensis to be precise). When you go out to forage for redbud flowers, it’s important to think about sustainability and ethics.
You don’t want to harm the tree or the environment while gathering the flowers. So, here are a few things to keep in mind while you’re out there:
6 Sustainability and Ethics of Foraging for Redbud Flowers
- Respect the environment. When foraging for redbud flowers, it’s important to be mindful of the environment and not damage the trees or their habitat. Therefore, be sure to leave enough flowers for pollinators and other wildlife.
- Know the laws. Check local regulations before foraging, because some areas may have restrictions on gathering wildflowers or other plants.
- Be responsible. Make sure to gather only the flowers, not the entire tree. Avoid harvesting from young or weak trees, as this can damage the tree’s growth and health.
- Avoid pesticides. Look for areas where pesticides are not used because pesticides are definitely not something you want to ingest.
- Consider your impact. Forage in moderation and only take what you need. Avoid over-harvesting, as this can have a negative impact on the environment and the availability of redbud flowers for future generations.
- Support local. Consider purchasing redbud flowers from local farmers or markets, as this supports sustainable harvesting practices and helps ensure the health and vitality of the local ecosystem.
Redbud is literally all over the place where I live, so it’s easy to find them. And when you do find them it is a perfect opportunity to whip up an amazing batch of Homemade Redbud Lemonade.
Step Two – Redbud Tea + Simple Syrup
Before we can mix up a batch of delicious Homemade Redbud Lemonade we’re going to need some Redbud Simple Syrup. But don’t worry, it’s exactly as the name says, simple!
1. Creating a Redbud Flower Tea
Making Redbud Tea is a tasty treat all on its own, but it is one of the crucial steps to making delicious Homemade Redbud Lemonade. The specific amounts may vary according to your taste buds, but let me tell you how I made it!
- Take your Redbud blossoms and put them into a 64 oz. Glass Ball Jar.
- Then pour boiling water over the top of them.
- At this point, add the lid and let them steep until they hit room temperature.
- When they finally cool put them in the refrigerator and let them steep for 24 hours.
I liked to use this reusable lid on top of each jar. This way I’m not wasting a canning lid and it’s easy to release pressure from it after steeping. You simply lift up the lid.
For specific measurements see the recipe card. For more in-depth instructions, photos, and additional details see the full post on Redbud Blossom Tea: A Step-by-Step Guide to Brewing.
2. How to Make Redbud Simple Syrup from Redbud Tea
Making Redbud syrup is quite simple in that the concept is pretty much universal no matter the recipe. You will do a 1:1 ratio of cups of liquid to white sugar.
- Take your Redbud Tea after it has steeped for 24 hours in a glass jar in the refrigerator and strain it through a fine-mesh strainer.
- Then add your freshly squeezed lemon juice and watch the magic happen! The color of the tea will brighten to a beautiful pink/purple.
- At this point, add the Redbud Tea to a medium saucepan. Measure the liquid as you go so you know how much sugar to add to it.
- Add the appropriate amount of sugar equal to the liquid.
- Then stir the mixture until the sugar fully dissolves.
- Bring the liquid to a rolling boil, the water should go from cloudy to crisp.
- At this point, take it off the heat and let it completely cool before adding it to a storage container or jar.
- I let mine chill in the refrigerator overnight before using it.
For specific measurements see the recipe card. For more in-depth instructions, photos, and additional details see the full post on How to Make Redbud Simple Syrup.
Step Three – Homemade Redbud Lemonade
Making Homemade Redbud Lemonade is simple and easy. Just follow the instructions and you will very quickly enjoy a tasty yet healthy glass of Homemade Redbud Lemonade!
Homemade Redbud Lemonade Ingredients
- Redbud Simple Syrup
- Ice Cubes
For specific measurements see the recipe card.
As far as flower jellies, it is sweet, but the floral taste is not overpowering. I had never tried Redbud before and it does have a different flavor, but very similar to grape if I had to describe it.
Step One – Juice Your Lemons
Cut your lemons in half and juice them in a citrus juicer. Strain the seeds if you need to through a fine mesh strainer.
Step Two – Fill Your Pitcher with Water + Ice
Then fill your pitcher with cold water and ice cubes. But not too much liquid that it will overflow when you add your lemon juice and Redbud Simple Syrup.
Step Three – Add Your Lemon Juice to Your Pitcher
Pour your lemon juice into your water and stir it thoroughly.
Step Four – Add Your Redbud Simple Syrup
At this point, measure your Redbud Simple Syrup and add it to the pitcher. Stir thoroughly and watch that lovely lemonade turn a pretty pink color. Then pour yourself a cup!
Redbud Lemonade Variations: Adding a Personal Touch
Though it is a simple recipe there are definitely some variations that you can do to add a little bit of a personal touch!
- Sugar. Instead of cups of sugar in the simple syrup recipe, try Honey, Agave, Maple Syrup, Brown Sugar, or even Coconut Sugar. Or, for a sugar-free option try Stevia!
- Add Even More Redbud Taste. Instead of all water, try filling your pitcher with half Redbud tea and half water.
- Different Citrus. Instead of regular Lemons try Lime Juice, Pink Lemon Juice, or Meyer lemon Juice. Another option would be citric acid.
- Add More Floral Notes. Adding edible flower petals such as wild violets or wisteria flowers can give the lemonade a unique touch.
- Fresh Berries or Herbs. Make it even more delicious by pairing the Redbud taste with fresh berries like strawberries, or herbs like basil or mint!
Other Redbud Treats to Make & Enjoy
If you try this recipe and want to dig in a little deeper you may also enjoy making this Homemade Redbud Jelly recipe! It is probably one of the easiest water bath canning recipes you can make. And I can say that because it’s the first recipe I ever tried and it turned out perfectly!
Other great floral jellies to make would be dandelion jelly or violet jelly made from common blue violets. Both are on my list!
More Redbud Blossom Content to Binge!
Redbud tea is just the beginning of the amazing recipes you can create using the lovely Redbud blossoms. Let’s discuss this.
- Redbud Syrup. Creating a simple syrup allows you to add the delicious flavor of Redbud flowers as a sweetener to all kinds of desserts and drinks!
- Redbud Flower Jelly. Not only is this Redbud jelly recipe delicious, but you can also get your feet wet with water bath canning! This homemade Redbud jelly is a super simple beginner’s recipe.
- Homemade Redbud Lemonade. Enjoy a twist on a true classic drink! The tartness of lemons paired with the sweet floral taste of Redbud Blossoms is a treat you cannot beat.
- How to Forage Redbud Flowers. There are just a few tips and tricks when foraging for these beautiful edible flowers that make the whole experience better!
Homemade Redbud Lemonade: Printable Recipe Card
- 4 Cups Cold Water
- 1 Cup Lemon Juice (freshly squeezed - 3 or 4 lemons, or bottled)
- 1 Cup Redbud Simple Syrup
- First, prepare your Redbud Tea & Simple Syrup. Directions Below.
- Fill your pitcher with 4 cups of chilled water.
- Add 1 cup of lemon juice. Stir it thoroughly.
- Then add 1 cup of Redbud Simple Syrup. Stir it thoroughly.
- Pour yourself a cup and enjoy!
Ingredients & Supplies:
- 4 Cups Redbud Blossoms
- 4 Cups Boiling Water
- 64 oz Ball Jar & Lid
- Pour your Redbud blossoms into the 64 oz ball jar.
- Then pour the 4 cups of boiling water on top of them, and put a lid on the jar.
- Let them steep until they come to room temperature.
- Then let them steep additionally 24 hours in the refrigerator.
- When they're done steeping, strain them with a fine-mesh strainer twice. Really squeeze out the juice.
Redbud Blossom Simple Syrup
Ingredients & Supplies:
- 3 3/4 - 4 Cups Redbud Tea
- 3 3/4 - 4 Cups Sugar (of choice)
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- Medium Saucepan
- Pour your 2 Tbsp of Lemon Juice into your strained Redbud Tea and watch the color change!
- Measure the exact amount of Redbud Tea with a measuring cup while you add it to a medium saucepan.
- Turn the stove on high.
- Add an equal amount of sugar for a 1:1 ratio of liquid to sugar (this is a typical simple syrup ratio).
- Stir continuously until the sugar is fully dissolved.
- At this point, the water will look foamy and cloudy.
- Allow it to come to a rolling boil. Once it comes to a boil the water will clarify. This means it's done. You can continue to boil it down at a simmer for a thicker more concentrated syrup.
- Once you reach the consistency you desire take it off the heat and let it cool entirely.
- Pour into a glass jar and refrigerate for the best shelf life.
Note: Since it is a flavored simple syrup it will only last 1-2 weeks in the refrigerator.
Redbud Lemonade: The Perfect Summer Drink for All Ages.
In conclusion, homemade redbud lemonade is a refreshing and unique twist on a classic drink. Not only does it provide a range of health benefits, but it also celebrates the beauty and sustainability of redbud trees and flowers.
So, the next time you’re in the mood for a cool and tasty drink, consider making Homemade Redbud Lemonade and savoring the flavors of the season.
Thanks for stopping by!
Meet the Author
Hi, I’m Julie! Mother to five beautiful kids, Homeschool Educator, Writer, Handicraft & DIY Enthusiast, Photographer, Thrifter, and Furniture Restorer. Follow along for fun DIY projects creating a handmade home on a budget! Read more about me here→